Wednesday, April 6, 2011

praying scripture

I wrote this for my Oasis group, as we wrap up our Breaking Free study tomorrow. We will split off individually to pray and journal and mediate, reflecting on what God has shown us in His Word. Here are a few key passages, rewritten into prayers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pray Galatians 5:1

Jesus

You set me free

Why?

For freedom

You forsook Your own freedom

And took on bondage

Your forsook Your own glory

And took on shame

Give me strength

Give me faith

Give me assurance, then

To refuse to ever again accept a yoke of slavery placed upon me

I am yours and yours alone

Because of You

I am free

I confess that I have run back to the comfort of shackles

I confess that out of fear I cling to what is familiar

I confess that I have cared more what others think than what You say

I confess

Forgive me

I choose You

I choose freedom

Keep me, Lord.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pray Isaiah 61 and Luke 4

Jesus, Savior

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on You

the LORD has anointed You

to proclaim good news to the poor

(reveal to me where I am poor)

He has sent You to bind up the brokenhearted

(reveal to me where I am brokenhearted)

to proclaim freedom for the captives

(reveal to me where I am captive)

and release from darkness for the blind

(reveal to me where I am blind)

to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor

(reveal to me Your favor)

and the day of vengeance of our God

(reveal to me where I seek my own vengeance)

to comfort all who mourn

and provide for those who grieve

(comfort me Lord)

to bestow on us a crown of beauty instead of ashes

(I offer up my ashes; I accept the crown of beauty You bestow)

the oil of joy instead of mourning

(I choose joy in the midst of mourning because I choose You)

and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.

(I reject hopelessness and I stand in worship!)

I will be called an oak of righteousness,

a planting of Yours

for the display of Your splendor.

(I believe this)

We will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; we will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations.

(Jesus do this work in and through me. Break generational cycles. Restore Your grace. Bless my family.)

You said, "Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."

(fulfill this scripture TODAY, in ME)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pray Isaiah 64 and I Corinthians 2

Since ancient times no one has heard, 


no ear has perceived, 


no eye has seen any God besides You, 


who acts on behalf of those who wait for him.

You come to the help of those who gladly do right, 


who remember your ways. 


You have written:

“What no eye has seen, 


what no ear has heard, 


and what no human mind has conceived

are the things You have prepared for those of us who love You—

these are the things You have revealed to me by Your Spirit.

The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of You, God.

What I have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from You, so that I may understand what You have freely given me.

For I have the mind of Christ.

I choose to surrender to the Spirit

to the mind of Christ

to the will of the Father

I accept all that You freely offer

I am yours.

Keep me Lord.

Keep me strong in my mind.

Renew my mind.

I reject lies and cling to truth.

I confess that I have been lazy in my thoughts.

I confess that I have made agreeents with the evil one

I confess that I have believed less of You

and less of myself

I have the mind of Christ.

No longer do I live, but Christ lives in me.

Breath by breath.

I choose to abide in You.

pray Isaiah 43

I will not fear, for You have redeemed me;

You have summoned me by name; I am Yours.

When I pass through the waters,

You will be with me;

and when I pass through the rivers,

they will not sweep over me.

When I walk through the fire,

I will not be burned;

the flames will not set me ablaze.

For You am the LORD your God,

the Holy One of Israel, my Savior;

Since I am precious and honored in Your sight,

and because You love me,

I will not be afraid, for You are with me;

I am your witnesses and your servant whom You have chosen, 


so that I may know and believe You and understand that You are God. 


Before You no god was formed, 


nor will there be one after You. 


You, even You, are the LORD, 


and apart from You there is no savior. 


You have revealed and saved and proclaimed.

I am your witness that You are God. 


Yes, and from ancient days You are God. 


No one can deliver out of Your hand. 


When You act, who can reverse it?”

I forget the former things; 
I do not dwell on the past. 


You are doing a new thing! Now it springs up; make me to perceive it. 


You are making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. 


You, even You, are He who blots out my transgressions, for Your own sake, 


and remembers my sins no more. 


pray Isaiah 48 and Psalm 42

You are God, my God,

You teach me how to live right and well.

You show me what to do, where to go.

If I had listen to what You tell me,

my life will flow full like a river,

blessings rolling in like waves from the sea.

I believe You, Lord.

A white-tailed deer drinks from the creek;

I want to drink You, deep draughts of You.

I'm thirsty for You.

I wonder, "Will I ever make it—

arrive and drink in Your presence?"

I'm on a diet of tears— tears for breakfast, tears for supper.

All day long people knock at my door,

Pestering, "Where is this God of yours?"

These are the things I go over and over,

emptying out the pockets of my life.

I was always at the head of the worshiping crowd,

right out in front,

Leading them all, eager to arrive and worship,

Shouting praises, singing thanksgiving—

celebrating, all of us, Your feast!

Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul?

Why am I crying the blues?

I fix my eyes on You God—

soon I'll be praising again.

You put a smile on my face.

You are my God.

When my soul is in the dumps, I rehearse

everything I know of you,

Chaos calls to chaos, to the tune of whitewater rapids.

Your breaking surf, your thundering breakers

crash and crush me.

Then You promise to love me all day,

sing songs all through the night!

My life is Your prayer.

Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul?

Why am I crying the blues?

I will fix my eyes on God—

soon I'll be praising again.

You put a smile on my face.

You are my God.

No comments: