Wednesday, April 6, 2011

pondering Ghandi

I have been reading Ghandi's autobiography. His search for the perfect religion is fascinating. He did not blindly accept Hinduism because he was raised in it. He was open and interested in many religions, and befriended many Christians. Of course they were eager to convert him, and he spent a lot of time in their churches and homes. However, he came to the conclusion that, while Jesus was beautiful and highly regarded, Christianity was not for him. I'm pondering what he said in response to his friend's explanation that all he needed was to accept that Jesus paid the penalty for his sins, and that once he did accept that, he could be at peace and stop trying to be so "good". His reply:

"If this be the Christianity acknowledged by all Christians, I cannot accept it. I do not seek redemption from the consequences of my sin. I seek to be redeemed from sin itself, or rather from the very thought of sin. Until I have attained that end, I shall be content to be restless."

I seek to be redeemed from sin itself.

When I read that I was stopped still.

And I smiled.

For she will give birth to a son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.

No comments: