Tuesday, July 12, 2011

pondering loving ourselves

Have I mentioned how much I love my Galatians Girls? I think I have but I'll say it again. I love this group!

Tonight after reading through Galatians 5 together - aloud round robin style from The Message - one of "my girls" asked a great question. We were discussing this phrase,

For everything we know about God's Word is summed up in a single sentence: Love others as you love yourself. That's an act of true freedom.

She said something to the effect of, "I know there are a lot of similar passages in scripture to this one, but are there many that say much about loving your SELF? Because sometimes that's the hardest thing."

We talked about that together - good, healthy discussion. But as I drove home I had more rolling in my head, so I sent this email... and I thought I'd share it here, too.

I wanted to share that I've been thinking more on that question about whether scripture has much to say about us loving ourSELVES. And here's what came to mind...

Honestly? No. Not much I can think of. I'd love to hear others' answers.

BUT!! (a big but)

There's a TON (including Jesus' entire LIFE) about how much GOD LOVES US. And I believe therein is the key. Not mustering up love for ourselves, but BELIEVING in FAITH that our Maker and Father loves us! Loves us, is crazy about us, is literally head over heels for us. Owning that identity as His Beloved. That redemptive identity (awesome phrase!) of living loved is a beautiful and powerful thing. When you are loved well you are free to love, filled up to love...

I think this is infinitely more important than somehow trying to love ourselves, and YET, if we believe and accept His love for us, we can't help but love everything He loves. And that includes us :)

Hope this makes some amount of sense :)

Love to all of you!
Michelle

ps - enjoy this version of He Loves Us :)


this song also comes to mind


would any readers of this blog care to add anything? please comment if so!

No comments: