Thursday, July 28, 2011

pondering the book of love

Richard Beck has once again written something that echoes my heart and experience so closely that I'd rather just have you go read him than try to express it myself. I share it not just for me, but for those I love who are experiencing similar situations. You know who you are. They may say we're dreamers, but we're not the only ones... and if you ask me, we're in pretty good company.

Read his post, then continue here, where I've shared my comment. Wrapped up in my comment is a post I'd actually written on this blog months ago titled Faith, Hope, and Love. Here is my comment (written today).

So here's the deal...
reading this scares the $hi* out of me. Seriously. Because this is exactly the trajectory I am on. I went for a silence retreat to just turn off all the questions and be with God a few months ago, and found myself walking a prayer path. before long, as I walked, I found myself reciting "faith, hope, and love" in rhythm with my steps. I got to the labyrinth and made my way to the middle ... when I got there someone before me had taken rocks and laid them on the large center stone in the shape of a heart. And that's when it was a like a bright light shone in my heart, screaming "and now abide these three: faith, hope, and love.... stop fretting over your faith. I won't lose you. You've now moved on to hope - that is good. Your faith is the root of your hope, your hope doesn't denounce your faith. Now leave from here and learn to walk in Love, for only there can you truly know Me."This was a very real experience. Mystical? I don't know. I'm not supposed to believe in such things...and yet my heart leaps at it. I'm clinging to those words for dear life, because so much around me right now is telling me this is all false.This comment is getting very long but I'll wrap with the fact that for me all this is expressed quite well in the new Death Cab for Cutie song You Are a Tourist. I feel like a tourist ...

No comments: